Saturday, July 02, 2005

List Five Events From 1984

As seen on Miranda July's web site Learning to Love You More...

1. I squirrelled away my allowance until I had enough to get my hair dyed turquoise, purple and fuschia with polka dots on the sides and back. I was 13. My mother called the hairdresser and threatened to file a lawsuit.

2. In the same month (April), I met Cyndi Lauper and two members of Culture Club, and I was convinced Boy George had looked right at me in a crowd as I waved a doll at him. This doll was a brunette Southern Belle, a gift from my grandmother, that I transformed into a Boy George doll by means of a new hairdo, a hand-sewn outfit, and makeup consisting of ballpoint-pen eyeliner and nail-polish lipstick.

3. I got in so many philosophical debates with a friend of mine, who was a devout Lutheran, that she started debating with her pastor and became an agnostic as a result.

4. The parents of two friends banned them from talking or hanging out with me because I was a "bad influence." This despite the fact that I did not drink or use drugs, was not remotely sexy, and--until one night that summer--had never kissed anyone.

5. Two friends and I spent the summer experimenting with our psychic powers, and it worked.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Went to France for the first time, and discovered I could speak French.
2. Got drunk for the first time, on champagne and white wine, at wedding in France, in chateau, in which I boked on the dance floor, having just sung the Marseillaise.
3. Sneaked out of parents' house in the middle of the night, reconnoitred with accomplices, and walked as far as was possible over a three-quarters-built mile-and-a-half-long bridge, before attending early mass.
4. Acquired first guitar.
5. Acquired first Bob Dylan record.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Daleth Hall said...

Manfromatlantis, je crois savoir qui vous etes.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, just on account of francophilia, alcoholism, catholicism, guitarism and dylanitis?

7:08 PM  
Blogger Daleth Hall said...

Well, I'm psychic, y'know.

6:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home